Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Life changes

My life has changed a lot these past few years. I've got two kids, gotten divorced, and moved to a different part of the country. I still have my wonderful Saint, who's a great partner to me and a great dad to our kids. But with a 1 year old and a 3 year old, there isn't much time or energy for kink or even sex. I miss it, a lot, but I'm not worried. This is such a short period of our lives, and it will pass soon enough. We'll get back in the swing of things once the kids start sleeping through the night, of that I'm certain.

Another change is a new diagnosis: Lichen sclerosis. An auto-immune skin disorder affecting the skin of the vulva. The skin gets frail, sore, itches a lot, tears easily and looses its flexibility. The disease can also cause the skin to fuse over the clitoris, the labia minora can disappear, and worst case scenario the vaginal opening can gradually close up. 

I had this for over a year before going to see a doctor (yeah, I know, I'm an idiot). He suspected this disease and referred me to a gynecologist who confirmed it.

Luckily, it's not contagious, and it can be fairly well contained with strong cortisone ointments. I'll need to apply that at least a couple of times per week for the rest of my life, and apply it daily during flare-ups.

I've treated it for a couple of months now, and I feel almost back to normal. I haven't tried having penetrating sex since treatment started, but I think it would completely fine now.

It's just another change. Something I'm sure I'll learn to live with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment