Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Hormonal haywire

I've been in a bit of a funk lately. More depressed and anxious than usual, less horny. Then I got the results of a recent blood test, showing a significant reduction in testosterone levels. So that might be at least part of the explanation for why I'm feeling so down. 

I'm using a topical testosterone gel, applied daily, and have for over a year. I have no good explanation for why my levels have suddenly dropped, but anecdotally it could be related to reduced absorption rates in the skin, caused by increased hair growth and thicker, less flexible skin (both a result of testosterone in the first place). Apparently, it isn't uncommon. And I'm sick of my body reacting weirdly to drugs, trying to gauge what my blood levels will be and getting it wrong at least half the time!

For example, I had no significant change in T levels after doubling my dose (when I first started T), but then a wild increase (too high) after another 25% increase. Going back down to the regular dose, I was fine for months, until now all of a sudden I'm super low. Going by the blood-work alone, I might even be getting my period back, and I'm telling you: NO! That's so NOT happening!

Another important factor is that someone I'm regularly having sex with is a trans woman. She shouldn't be exposed to topical testosterone, if she wants to keep her own T levels low, and I risk transferring some to her if I keep using gel. I don't want to worry about how and when I touch her. 

So I've decided to try switching from gel to intramuscular injections. They'll only need to be administered every three months, but I'll need a nurse or doctor to do it. I'm scared of the pain, but I know tons of people who're using this version of testosterone regularly and they all assure me it's bearable. If they can take it, I probably will be able to as well. At least I hope so.

Anecdotally as well, switching from gel to injections might also give an increase in the masculinizing effect. Apparently that's a thing for some people, who've had slow effect of gel even though their blood work showed good T levels. That means more body hair, a more masculine scent and perhaps even more bottom growth, all of which I'll be very happy about if it does happen. Just hope my partners will like it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment